Friday, September 09, 2011

Like a Fiddler on the Roof....

I've been going into work extra early. Starting a new job with a new district it seems like the thing to do. I am learning the lay of the land and the territory and I want to be on top of my game.

After three weeks I have noticed a few kids that are dropped off early. They are there when I get there at seven. I've talked to Ashanti because she's also there when I leave after five. I'm not sure what her story is, but she is dropped off extra early and is picked up extra late. I told her one day that I thought she must live there. She smiled. I finally sat down one day and asked her name and told her mine. She's shy and has a sweet smile. Her hair and make up are always very carefully done so she must get up REALLY early. I don't know her story yet, but I talk to her every morning and when I came in this morning she waved at me first.

I signed in and wandered down to my end of the world and made coffee and sat down and set up my technology for the day and then heard it....the sound of the violin. Ba dom ba dom ba dom. Dot Dot Daht Dot Dot Daht... I listen more carefully and I most certainly hear the dancing melody of the opening of Fiddler on the Roof.

I am transported to last weekend. We were in Ft. Collins, Colorado for our daughter's wedding. Mark is driving a van load of bridesmaids and the bride around to their pub crawl and I pick up the remote control there in room 822 of the Hilton and can barely make it work and then I push a button and there I see the silhouette of the Fiddler...there on the roof and the music starts. I start crying. I find it incredibly appropriate on so many levels. Rachael, our daughter, the bride, was the Momma Golde in a production of Fiddler her senior year of high school. I went to so many rehearsals and the performances and heard her sing so many of the songs and we listened to the sound track in the car so she could practice and the story of a good man getting his daughters married off became dear to my heart. We even talked about whether or not to have Sunrise Sunset play at her wedding.

(tevye)Is this the little girl I carried,
Is this the little boy at play?

(golde)
I don't remember growing older,
When did they?

(tevye)
When did she get to be a beauty,
When did he grow to be so tall?

(golde)
Wasn't it yesterday when they were small?

(men)
Sunrise, sunset Sunrise, sunset.
Swiftly flow the days.

(women)
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers,
Blossoming even as we gaze.
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/f/fiddler_on_the_roof/sunrise_sunset.html ]
(everyone)
Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset.
Swiftly fly the years,
One season following another,
Laiden with happiness and tears.

To hear the strains from Fiddler this morning was really a sweet way to start the day. I listened and walked out of my room and edged down to peek down the choir hallway. I can still hear the music. Whoever is playing is really good. I walked very softly until I could see a young man sitting on the floor playing the violin. I was trying to be very quiet and sneaky but I guess he finally saw me in his peripheral vision and stopped. I told him I liked it very much and that he was good and he said he loved Fiddler because it was the first musical his mother took him to see. We chatted for a minute and I thanked him and went back to my room. I must have made him shy because he shifted to Vivaldi. That didn't hurt my feelings at all.

My students did good work today and behaved reasonably. The principal wandered in and looked at what they were doing and seemed pleased. This is a good sign for the new girl on a new job.

After work we went over to see some of my peeps from my old school. I have missed them so much. I'm pleased with my new situation but I miss the people that I love. I turned over my Skyline ring to Monty. He was around the day I made it and it fits him perfectly. I've worn that ring for years now. My finger feels naked.

I saw other friends that I love so much and it made my heart happy. It was fun and we were silly.

We were leaving and intended to go get something to eat and stopped right down the street at Dixie House. My friend Dennis was the manager there and I didn't know if he still was but we stopped there anyway. We walked in and the girl that seated us looked so familiar. She is a pro and did a great job setting up our service. At one point I asked her where she went to school and she told me that she went to Eastfield but had gone to Skyline. I told her that I knew she looked familiar and told her my name and she said "OH, you had Jebus..." She started to explain and I told her that I did indeed have "Jebus" and that he was one of my angels and she hugged me and hurried to her next table and I'm certain that both of us cried a little. We both lost "Jebus" very tragically when his father chose to take his life and the lives of his family. He was one of my very special students and his loss tore a big hole in my heart and the hearts of everyone that knew him. It was good to see this young lady. I also taught her brother who was dear to my heart also.

Today, I heard music that moves me. I had the chance to reflect and think happy thoughts. I saw people that I love very much. I saw someone who shares part of my heart.

In the musical, Tevye is a joyful narrator who explains that life is like a fiddler perched on a roof. Life is survival through tradition in a life of uncertainty and imbalance. We push our tradition for the sake of love.

Today was a good day.