Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving

Today, I'm not seeing, I'm thinking about the people in my life and feel that I should tell them why I'm thankful to know them.

AA

My sister. AA I wish I knew you better. I'm sad that we only ever lived together before you were five. I wish that I had so much experience to draw on to tell you why I'm thankful for you. I really don't know you. I never had the privilege. We are siblings yet we don't share more than we ever did share.

I'm thankful that you are in this world. You are the only sibling I have. I have reasonable assurances that you are a kind person and a great mom and a savvy entrepreneur. I wish I knew that from personal experience.

I'm glad you are alive. I'm pleased that you exist. I think you have wonderful children and I'm proud that you love them so much. I'm so happy that you get to have the experience of having our parents around for your entire life. I miss them too.

I didn't get to live with our parents very long. Less than 12 years. I lived a lot of places. Most of my life I've been isolated for reasons that did not involve me.

I'm so grateful that I have a sister. Some folks never have one at all. Geographical challenges have made the relationship mostly a suggestion for us. I reach out all the time. I don't know how to do better.