Sunday, July 02, 2006

A young blue jay and a young cardinal were in the bush right outside my window having a conversation. They were cute, both of them showed juvenile feathers. The jay was much bigger than the cardinal.

I think the conversation boiled down to which one of them had the rights to these particular bushes. I've seen the jay get bigger over the spring.

I put some bread crumbs and some dead cereal out in the bushes and I've seen any number of feathered friends come by. They are funny.

The cardinal must live close. I have seen him several times in the past few days. I think he waits until the jay is somewhere else. I don't blame him, the jay is still bigger.

My garden gnome Augustus supervises the interactions in the bushes. I'm going to have to learn more about the other visitors. Jays and Cardinals are easy to tell for any elementary schooler. I'm going to have to branch out!

I'll try to get some photos.