Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Book 4 2008

Okay, I'm trying to stop sniffling. I just finished Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog. I was a little ambivalent about starting it. I mean, I don't do non fiction, and I couldn't imagine wanting to read a book about a dog. The book was a gift from my friend Jane, and because I believe that she wouldn't steer me wrong, I took a leap of faith and opened it up.

I was sucked in very quickly. The author is apparently some sort of nature and outdoorsy writer and in this book he tells the story of an amazing dog that adopted him. Within the book he discusses Merle's behavior living in a community where a dog can run free. He brings in the research of many learned folks who studied canine behavior and applied what he learned from his study to what he learned from Merle.

The story is more than touching, quite engaging and well worth the read. Thank you Jane! I wouldn't have missed this for anything.

Today, well, I'll come back to that-- yesterday however. . . . .

Last night I saw 700 people gather at the PTA meeting at our school. Our district is trying to do some less than favorable things to our school for misguided reasons. The turn out last night was a pretty good indication. It was marvelous to see so many parents there. There was standing room only. I saw people that I know speak and I heard people that I don't know speak. It's likely to be a battle of some duration. I hope the folks in charge realize that they are misguided. We'll see.

Today was pretty humdrum until after finals. We met in the library so that the kids could practice their speeches and interviews. They were so funny as they wandered around the library speaking to themselves, trying to get the speeches memorized. They've got two more days to have them letter perfect. We will see. . .

I'm not sure yet what book 5 will be. I'm looking around a bit.

Who am I kidding? I'm still sniffling.