Monday, January 21, 2008

Looking at the world from different angles


I saw some ducks today. James was in the back seat and he hollered that there were turkeys by the road. They were strange looking ducks. I wish I had a camera. The coloring was similar to mallards that are certainly familiar to me, but their heads reminded me of turkeys. I commented that the prettier colored one was likely the male, but Mark insisted that it was about to lay an egg.

It actually turned its derriere to us and pooped.

This charming creature should not be this far north according to the article.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I finished book #5 for 2008 today. Flatland by Edwin Abbott. It is more than a hundred years old and quite peculiar. It details the existence of beings in a two dimensional world. It's hard to imagine a society where social status is determined by the number of one's angles, AND the regularity of those angles.

I've seen this book go by several times when we've gotten a load of books, but I never bothered to read it. It isn't very long, but it is most profound in many ways.

We finally made it over to Barnes and Noble so I could use the gift certificate that Mark got me for Christmas. My main intent was to get the next George R. R. Martin book (which I did), but I also picked up two collections of the shorter works of Jane Austen. I've been making Mark watch Masterpiece Theater which is presenting the novels of Jane Austen. He likes Jane Austen, in fact he read Pride and Prejudice in high school and loved it. I was married to him before I got around to it. I do love it, it has become one of my favorite books. I have the complete novels, but I've not read the shorter pieces. So I guess I know what book number six will be!

I spoke with the "English connection" yesterday, and had a lovely conversation. We nattered on about our silly game and related folks. I spoke to Neil briefly which is always nice. It sounds like it has been warmer in the UK than it has been in Texas. Darnit!

It's been so cold. I've really noticed because I made a new year's resolution to NOT smoke inside the house. It's been miserable outside, and the good thing is that our porch is open to the south and east and doesn't get much wind. I don't know what I'd do if I was on the block behind us with the opposite situation. Probably quit smoking. Hmmm. I have cut down quite a bit so I guess that's an improvement.

I also resolved to get rid of clothes that don't fit me any more. I did pull some things out of the closet last week before bulky trash, but there is a lot more to go. Good intentions et al. . . .

I resolve to stay in the size I'm wearing now!