Monday, November 03, 2008

Flash Forward

I just had a frightening flash forward.

It's not frightening because it's a bad thing. It's a wonderful thing, but it will leave me with a taste of ashes, and a sense of pride and a woeful sense of remorse.

I've got a great bunch of kids this year. There is a group of them that I've had for 3 years now. I've seen such growth and character out of these guys.

I've been a harpy to get them to take the SAT twice this year. The first round of scores just came in. They are good. They will be better. I want these children on the first row of applicants of any school they apply to.

I just flashed forward to a year from May when they walk across that stage and graduate. I don't think I could be prouder of any group I've ever seen walk. I don't think I will miss any group so much. I will holler and yell for Ashley and Alma and Cruz and Laura and Danielle and Alex and Marion and Daniel and even Cristian without an "h." I don't think I've ever had a bunch that got to me on such a gut level. I'm going to be in a tizz all next year as they make applications to universities across the country. I'm going to write recommendation letters that express my admiration for them and extol their virtues. I'm going to be all over their backsides to meet the financial aid deadlines.

Then in May, I will see them walk. I will see them join the "grown up" world.

I'm crying now to think of them going forward, but away from me.

What will I do when it happens?


***************************************

Flash forward to April 6, 2016.  I watched Ashley get married tonight.  I kind of almost lost it.  God she is gorgeous. What a beautiful bride.  What a lucky groom.